The news is that Windows 10 is free! But you need to act soon, before the deadline.
- Windows 7 or 8 users are eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 until July 29, 2016.
- After that, an upgrade could cost about $100.00 per PC just for the software.
What are the benefits of moving to Windows 10?
Windows 10 is faster, more secure, and offers a number of new and beneficial features that you can enjoy even on older hardware.
Keep in mind, Mainstream Support for Windows 7 already ended in July 2015. Security updates only will continue until 2020.
What do you need to know?
Moving to Windows 10 is an upgrade, not just a simple patch. Before beginning, you should do the following:
- Review hardware and software compatibility with Windows 10. Especially software applications that you use regularly. Microsoft has included a ‘Check my PC’ in the Get Windows 10 app to help with checking hardware and software but it’s not foolproof.
- Windows 10 only supports version 11 of the web browser Internet Explorer (IE). If you use a website that requires an earlier/lower version of IE, you should research compatibility mode before making a decision.
- Backup your machine before an upgrade - especially if you have data stored on your PC. Ensure you have sufficient disk space to upgrade.
- Fully patch your machine with the latest updates.
- If you are unhappy, you can roll back to a previous version within 30 days of the install date. But there can be some things lost in the mix.
- The upgrade will take anywhere from 1-2 hours to install depending upon the performance of your machine and your Internet connection.
- Upgrade one machine in your office environment before upgrading them all.
- Because Windows 10 is a version upgrade and not a standard patch, upgrading to it is outside the scope of our IT Support and Management Plans.
We can help!
Upgrading to Windows 10 is a smart move for a lot of reasons, but it is not without potential complications.
That is where IT Radix can help. If you’d like to consider a project to address the items noted above and then move some or all of your PCs to Windows 10, please call us today.